Saturday, December 18, 2010

Update to Story of Bullying in Anoka-Hennepin (MN) School District: Not Pretty



Back in October, I blogged about the Anoka-Hennepin school district in Minnesota, in which there has been a horrific spate of suicides of students, several of them clearly related to bullying of gay youth.  As I noted in my posting, in September, I tried to communicate my concern about what is going in in their schools to the Anoka-Hennepin school board, and got quite a run around from one of the local board members, a former Republican state representative.


When I was finally able to send an email to that school board member, I got back a defensive response from an official of the school district, who maintained that the school district is doing all it can to deal with the problem of bullying and with the issues of sexual orientation underlying the bullying in this district.  

Well, the story continues, and it appears that the school board official who responded to my concerns was giving me a load of hooey--as I suspected at the time.  Timothy Kincaid has an update to the Anoka-Hennepin story at Box Turtle Bulletin right now.

It's not pretty.

No comments: