Thursday, May 10, 2012

Catholic Archbishop Advocates for Full American Dream for All!



Michael O'Loughlin heads his latest posting at America's blog, "Archbishop: Why deny full American DREAM?"


And, silly me, since I saw that headline the day following Mr. Obama's endorsement of the dreams of gay citizens and those who love us that we might one day enjoy all the rights accorded to other citizens, I thought the good archbishop in question (Gomez of Los Angeles) was speaking about the denial of the American dream to gay citizens.

But not so, unfortunately.  (Though I, of course, absolutely stand in solidarity with those promoting a full range of human rights for immigrants.  I do so as a believer in Christ and a gay man who knows what it's like to be denied rights and treated as a second-class citizen.

And I'll start listening again to the bishops about all of that--perhaps--when they stop pretending that gay human beings don't exist, don't experience oppression, and don't deserve the full American dream also.)

The graphic is Mexican photographer Manual Alvarez Bravo's "Los SueƱos Han de Creerse," from the Arte Mexico website, which I first saw some years ago at the Nelson-Atkins art museum in Kansas City (and which I hope is not under some copyright I'm violating here--if so, my apologies to Mr. Alvarez Bravo or whoever holds the rights to the photo).

No comments: