Sunday, December 25, 2011

Remembering a Grandmother, Christmas Day



I can't let today pass without a note of remembrance of my grandmother, Vallie Snead Lindsey, who died on Christmas day in 1976.  The photo above is the last picture taken before her death.  It was taken in October of the year in which she died.

On the day of my grandmother's death, my family had made plans to drive from Little Rock to San Antonio to see her.  She was in a care facility in San Antonio because my father's older brother Carlton was helping provide care for her, and he and his wife were teaching at colleges in San Antonio.  And then we got word early Christmas morning that my grandmother had died before we could see her . . . . 

Here's a picture of my grandmother as a little girl.


















And shortly before my grandparents' marriage. 


















And holding me in her arms about 1953.














I very much miss both of my grandmothers (and the one grandfather I knew).  And on this anniversary of my grandmother's death, I pray that eternal light shine upon her and all the souls of the faithful departed.

No comments: