Sunday, January 6, 2013

Illinois Bishops Slam the Gays, and Illinois Priest Is Found Handcuffed and Gagged



Can I be the only person in the world thinking about this when I read this and listen to the audio clip attached to the article?


Far be it from me to pass judgment on the priest about whom this now-viral story is being circulated. I can't stop myself from asking questions, though, when I read that the man was not merely handcuffed but found with a gag in his mouth. And that, understandably, the diocese now wants to do everything in its power to keep this story under wraps (typical cover-up behavior of Catholic pastoral authorities).

But here's the thing: this story has gone viral just days after Bishop Thomas J. Paprocki, other Illinois bishops, and the Cardinal Archbishop of Chicago and former president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Francis George issued a letter identifying the gays as the problem.

A year down the road from Cardinal George's ugly remarks about how marchers in a gay pride parade were akin to the Ku Klux Klan.

When I read this story and listen to this audio clip, I somehow don't think the gays are the problem. I think, instead, that the bishops focusing such lavish attention on the gays as the problem might do a bit of inspecting inside their own glass houses.

What they find there are some real problems that might be worth their attention.

No comments: