Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Haitian Earthquake: Links to Groups Offering Aid

As I know all of you are, I am deeply concerned as I read the news about Haiti.

At the Open Tabernacle site today, there's a news link to a World Council of Churches initiative to offer assistance.

At America blog, Fr. James Martin has posted links to Catholic Relief Services' initiative to assist Haitians, and to the Jesuit Refugee Service program.

Please consider helping in the practical way that works best for you.

My heart is heavy as I see the pictures from this country with so many people who already live near the edge. In my years of teaching in HBCUs, I taught a number of Haitian students who were among the finest human beings I have ever known. At the last HBCU at which I worked, a Haitian security worker exemplified the Christian values of that faith-based campus far more transparently than did any of its administrators. He was one the most compassionate and humane persons I met on the entire campus. All of these people, their families, and the nation of Haiti are in my thoughts and prayers today.

If readers know of other groups offering assistance to the people of Haiti, please post information in the comments section.

Update: Here's a link to a Huffington Post article with extraordinarily helpful information on groups offering aid to Haiti, which will appreciate our support. HuffPo notes it will be constantly updating this page.