Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Sunday Poem: On Remembrance

It's Sunday, which means a slower than usual day for me. I've spent too much time preaching and writing this week, writing and preaching.

Time for a poem, which says more in a few words than most sermons say in many.

I've talked a lot recently about remembering. For many gay folks who lived through the bitterest years of the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s and 1990s--years in which we saw friend after friend die--remembering has a special significance.

My closest friend from grade school through high school died in those years. He has no grave marker anyplace. His ashes were scattered in a faraway place he loved. For his funeral program, his parents chose to print the text, "The wages of sin is death," prominently on the front cover.

When so many people die so quickly, and often so young, the challenge of remembering is enormous. In those years, I began to challenge myself not to let a single one of my friends go unremembered. This is the same challenge I am putting to myself regarding the gay youth who have been killed lately.

The following is an epitaph I wrote for a friend who died of AIDS in 1994:



Epitaph for L.

No silence

Falls so strong

Across the warm brick of my fireplace

As this sun,

Today,

Gilding and fretting the wrinkled chilies

I've hung upon the firescreen

To dry.


I here,

And you there,

Watching the same sun rise,

Loop its splendid arc

Against the sky,

Then sink with wounded things

Into the pool of night

To nurse its strength

Until the coming day.


Before you died,

You told me of the different life

Your fate had made for you.

I pictured you

Cat-indolent, hunched

Athwart your garden seat,

Lapping milky sun

While butterflies fought flowers round you,

And mockingbirds played morning chase

Across New Orleans rooftops.


What you saw then,

I only glimpse.

Where you've gone now

Is dark to me.


But this day's sun,

Its shaggy mane standing

Stark against my walls:

This sun I see new-eyed

Because you did not live in vain,

Old friend,

My dear departed heart.

No comments: