Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Catholic Commentary re: McCarrick Doubling Down on Calls to Bar Gays from Priesthood: Why This Red-Herring Solution Is Not a Viable Solution to the Abuse Problem


Here's a Twitter thread I wrote today, that I'd like to share with you in light of my postings yesterday:









I find it amazing and touching that P.A. Kane can say the following after Father Ron Silverio sexually abused him and two of his brothers when they were minors. I find it amazing that P.A. Kane can muster compassion, as he says he has done, for Silverio as a gay man, when Silverio sounds like quite a horrible human being. My hat is off to P.A. Kane and his ability to hold onto his own deep heart and humanity in circumstances where I'm not sure I could have done the same. He writes:

As we know, pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder where an adult is sexually attracted to children, whereas gay and lesbian people are sexually attracted to people of the same sex. Yet, there is still a dumb and persistent effort by anti-gay activists to show a link—despite 40 years of research, duplicated dozens times—between homosexuality and abusive pedophilia. Researchers have found showing pictures of young boys to gay men did not arouse them any more than pictures of young girls aroused straight men, meaning gay men are no more attracted to children than straight men. I believe this research to be completely accurate.

On the recent removal of Tony Anatrella from ministry due to his now-proven abuse of young men who came him as a counselor to be "cured" of their homosexuality, see CΓ©line Hoyeau, "French priest-therapist removed from ministry for alleged sexual abuse." On Anatrella's very considerable influence in the Vatican, where he was one of the movers and shakers of the policy barring gay men from the priesthood, see this Wikipedia entry about him, and also click his name in the labels below.

P.S. Yes, I have now told you the name of the Jesuit who taught me, about whom I wrote recently, who is credibly accused of molesting a five-year-old girl. See the Bishop Accountability link provided above for documentation of that sordid story. No point being coy any longer about his name when this information is out there in the public square in this way.

No comments: