Sunday, September 15, 2013

Remembering My Mother on the Anniversary of Her Death




I can't let this day end without a notice of remembrance of my mother's death on this day in 2001. She's been in my thoughts through much of this day. For her funeral, I chose for the processional or entrance music to play a recording of Chanticleer singing Moses Hogan's arrangement of "We Shall Walk Through the Valley in Peace." The rendition at the head of the posting is by Via Vitae, singing in Pedersöre church in Jakobstad, Finland, in July 2011.*

When I began blogging here, I had no notion of how the tendrils of the lives of people I now know online would insinuate themselves into my life, wrap themselves around my heart. That has happened, as a result of my blogging.

And so, as I remember my mother today and pray for her peaceful repose in the divine heart at the center of the cosmos, I think of a longtime reader of this blog who has experienced terrible loss in recent months, whose pain I don't now forget. I also think of another longtime reader of this blog who has gone through a serious personal crisis, and from whom I'm not hearing right now--and about whom I'm very worried.

I pray that for these online friends, for my mother, for all readers of this blog, all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.

*Beautiful music, but a warning to readers who watch the video: if you're like me, the panning in and out and around may make you queasy. I listen without watching too closely.

No comments: